Tuesday, September 11, 2007

9-11

Today is the 6th anniversary of the 9-11 terrorist attacks. At the girls' school they had a program called "Patriots and Heroes" and KC was one of the featured soloists in the program. She and 3 other students helped lead the 5th graders in a song called American Tears.

First, all the students sang a very nice song about being Americans. Then the third graders sang a song about diversity and how it takes lots of different people to make a difference in the world. Very sweet, and Abby was adorable (as usual):



Then a local deputy gave a very touching speech on what it means to be a hero. At this point I'm already teary, so imagine what is yet to come.

Next, the fourth graders sang a song about America, then it was the fifth graders' turn.

They had a powerpoint presentation with photos from 9-11 and it is a beautiful song.



Of course, anyone who knows me at all can imagine that I was very emotional. Heck, I get weepy when they sing the national anthem at Texan games . . .



I think KC did a wonderful job, and I was so proud that she had the courage to stand up there in front of all those students and sing her heart out! She sang clearly and beautifully!

I could not possibly bring myself to actually reflect on 9-11 at this time because I am still emotionally drained from this morning. Maybe later I will be able to think of something meaningful (or at least coherent)to say - LOL. But I am so proud of both the girls for raising their voices in honor of the heroes today!




American Tears

Sometimes I think about America, about her struggles through the years.
I think of people who did what they had to do with the strength to act through their fears.
Sometimes I think about America, about her future and her past.
I know I’m blessed to be living in liberty in a land where freedom will last.

For the heroes, for the patriots, for the soldiers, for all the pioneers.
I’ll always be an American and I’ll always cry American tears.

Sometimes I think about America, about her people’s legacy.
I wonder if they knew that what they had to do would be known throughout history.
Sometimes I think about America, about her pain along the way.
I know it had to be for our democracy, for the world we live in today.

For the heroes, for the patriots, for the soldiers, for all the pioneers.
I’ll always be an American and I’ll always cry American tears.
For the heroes, for the patriots, for the soldiers, for all the pioneers.
I’ll always be an American and I’ll always cry American tears.
Yes, I’ll always be an American and I’ll always cry American tears.

No comments: