Bill and I are both math people. While we both love music, neither of us can play any instrument at all. We have always encouraged the kids to pursue music, though, and we have been so pleased that the girls have loved dance so much. But when it came to actually playing music, we had little to offer except a ride to someone who could help.
Brady began learning the French horn in sixth grade, mainly because it was the only elective left besides art which didn't interest him at all. When he first began, it truly sounded like a very sad cow was dying upstairs. He got better, and last year made the all-region concert band as a seventh-grader. This year, he made the all-region symphonic (top) band and also qualified for region orchestra. Saturday evening, we attended the region band concert and listened to two outstanding middle school bands perform. Here's an excerpt from the first piece the Symphonic band played, called Velocity:
For years, people have been asking KC if she could play the piano, because she has such beautiful long fingers. Finally, this past summer KC decided to begin taking piano lessons at a local music store. She's done really well for only having been playing for a few months, and Sunday she participated in her very first piano recital. 30 students of all levels performed, and we think she was just wonderful. Listen for yourself:
I am thankful that they all love music. And I am quite content to listen and enjoy . . . and help tutor them in Algebra. :-)
Sunday, November 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Wonderful post! Talk about bringing back memories!!!
I actually thought about you guys when I was posting!
Post a Comment