Sunday, September 12, 2010

Fall means football

Fall means football in Texas, and Brady and the Austin Bulldogs JV team are well into their season. They are 1-2 so far, but getting better each game.

This week was special for us because Mom came out to watch him play. It's the first time she'd ever seen him play football. We both agree that it's hard to watch him get hit, but he shrugs and says if you roll with it, it doesn't hurt too badly.

What I was surprised to see this week was that Brady had taped his wrists. I've never seen him do that before. I was worried for a minute that they might be sore, and particularly puzzled when he spotted my mom in the stands and held them up so she could see them. Mom used to be an EMT, so she's always ready to render medical aid if needed.

As it turns out, Brady had taped his wrists so he could write a message on them. "G.B. R.I.P." for my dad, George Barnett. He also wrote "Herb" below it, the name my dad used to call him. I had no idea he was going to do that, but I was so touched that he thought of it all by himself.

He went to the A&M game yesterday with friends and had a blast. KC spent the day working on a project with a friend, so Abby got to hang out with her dad (I was visiting Mom). A quiet end to a long week.

No comments: