Friday, August 3, 2007

The Texas Weasleys (aka our love of Harry Potter)

Our family has occasionally been called the Texas Weasleys, after the fictional ginger family made famous in the Harry Potter books. I enjoy the reference, because I see the Weasleys as such a warm, loving family. In the midst of all the sadness and chaos of Harry's world, the Weasleys represent stability (despite their eccentricities). JK Rowling said she almost killed off Arthur Weasley in the 5th book, but couldn't because he was the only good father she'd created in the whole series. For that he earned a reprieve.

Anyway, to celebrate the release of book 7 of the Harry Potter series, we had to make plans to attend a book party! Before the party, we decided to have a party of our own. Our first annual Hogwarts feast! The kids all had their own robes, so we pulled out the Halloween decorations and made our very own feast. We had roast turkey, corn on the cob, mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, and pumpkin juice (orange soda).



We finished off the meal with "Treacle Tarts" (chocolate pudding in graham-cracker crusts and "Cauldron Cakes" (jumbo cupcakes).



After the feast, we played Harry Potter Scene It until it was time to head off to the bookstore.

So what did we think of the book? Jeannie and Bill both finished it and liked it (although it wasn't my favorite). Brady has to finish his summer GT reading before he can even start it, but he's hoping to get to it this week. I can't wait for JK Rowling to publish the definitive Encyclopedia of Harry Potter so we can learn more! I know, I now . . . I'm a major nerd. What did you expect? LOL

No comments: