Tuesday, August 14, 2007

What can I say . . . ?

What can I say about a co-worker with whom I worked so closely for so many years that it was hard to tell where I ended and she began? What can I say about a woman who encouraged and challenged me professionally to be better than I ever dreamed I could be? What words could possibly do justice to someone who inspired me daily to be a better person, to love and appreciate my family more deeply, and to use the gifts I have been given to serve Him the best way I can?

How can I thank someone who was there virtually every day at a job while I missed for sick kids, a sick husband, personal illness and every other reason under the sun? What words do I have for a woman who was there for me through the birth of my youngest, the death of my brother-in-law, and every personal crisis in between? What can I say about a woman who cried with me, laughed with me, and raged against every misguided district implementation with me? Someone with whom sentences only needed to be a word or two because we both could complete each other’s thoughts?

What can I possibly say to someone who spent years as the other (and better half) of my brain? Who worked so closely with me that teachers didn’t know (or care) which of us was which? Who taught me so much about the person I want to be? Who, despite being a thousand miles away, continues to inspire me every day with her grace and spirit?

Only this . . . Happy Birthday, Virginia. You are truly a gift from God.

No comments: