Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Punctual Girl Strikes again . . .

We are now 15 days into 2008, and so far, eh . . .

Things have been relatively quiet in my immediate family, for which I am thankful. owever, if you could please keep my aunt Pat Sullivan in Boston, and Sandra Davis, a librarian at a school near mine whose husband I have worked with for many years now, in your thoughts and prayers, I would really appreciate it. Both suffered strokes recently, from which my aunt is recovering and hopefully Sandra will as well. My aunt Pat has been further challenged with failing kidneys and is starting dialysis this week. They are both strong ladies, and . . . well . . . sometimes all we can do is pray that their strength will be enough. And that the people taking care of them and watching over them will have strength, wisdom, patience, and perseverance. And for an end to the snow in the northeast. Enough is enough. I am hoping things will be brighter very soon.

On a lighter note, we were talking at the dinner table the other night, and KC asked me what superpower I would choose if I could have one. Interesting question, isn't it? I would definitely not choose invisibility, because I would never want to know what people are saying when I am not around (hopefully only good things, but why take the chance?). Super strength wouldn't be particularly helpful to me . . . I have sufficient strength to lift the things I must and no interest in lifting anything I don't have to. Flying would be fun, so long as the weather is nice. I'd need to be able to take at least one of the kids with me, though, as the places I am generally in a hurry to get to require me to deliver at least one of them as well (perhaps I need a combination of flight and super strength?). What does that leave? The ability to freeze time might be helpful when I need to get dinner on before an appointment, but it seems like nothing would cook effectively until time was unfrozen anyway (I find chicken won't cook effectively until it is unfrozen, which is generally why I would need to stop time in the first place). I suppose I would need more research to answer that question.

Brady would like to fly, and KC would like the power to bend time and space (naturally). Abby had an interesting answer. She would like the power to always be on time to school. Mind you, the kids are never late to school, as Bill and I have to be at work at 7:00 am. I don't know why this was on her mind, but as far as super powers go, punctuality really isn't a terribly useful one. We all laughed (including Abby) at the thought of Punctual Girl arriving to foil a bank robbery:

"Stop robbing this bank!"
"Punctual Girl! Are you going to stop me?"
"Well, actually, I have another appointment I must be getting to. But note that I was here on time. I must go now!"

Really not the best superpower, but at least she was thinking about making the world a better place. If only for the people potentially waiting for her.

Bill left his camera at a friend's house, but has it back now, so perhaps some pictures soon. Best to all!

No comments: