Monday, November 26, 2007

Tree 1: The Traditional Tree!

I promised to write about all my Christmas Trees as I put them up this year, so we'll start with the first one: The Traditional Tree.



KC calls this the Holiday Tree (she calls the large one in the living room the Traditional Tree - I call that the family tree) and I sometimes call it the Krystal ball tree. It started 4 years ago from a suggestion by my friend and librarian Krystal. I was trying to think of a new theme for a tree and she suggested a traditional one, filled with glass ball ornaments.

It was such a great idea! The ornaments are all inexpensive ones (fortunately, since we lose a few to dropping each year). We decided to go with an angel on top:



The tablecloth/tree skirt was given to me by my Aunt Eileen years ago. I might get a new tree skirt for it after the holidays, but I love the red plaid even if the color doesn't match the burgundy tree exactly. And it reminds me of my extended family in Massachusetts.

This tree lives in the hallway right as you come in the front door. This year, I'm using a new pre-lit tree that Bill's mother bought me last year as the Traditional Tree (she traded me for the Texas tree which now lives in New Braunfels at their vacation house). I think it really looks beautiful at night (although in the interest of fair disclosure, this photo was taken at 5 a.m. not truly evening. It was dark, though.



I love this tree because it makes me think of Hallmark card Christmas scenes, with snow covered treetops and hot cocoa by the fire. This is usually the first tree I put up each year because it reminds me that things don't have to be complicated or expensive to be beautiful. A lesson I need to keep in mind before I head out shopping!

No comments: