Saturday, December 1, 2007

Tree 2: The Wizard of Oz Tree

This tree wasn't the first of these trees, I believe it was actually the fourth of these trees I bought, but it was the one that started the idea of having multiple themed trees.

Here is the current Wizard of Oz tree:



It just moved up to this slim 7.5' tree this year.

The way it all began . . .

Bill's mother ordered a set of wizard of Oz ornaments for me. They are very cute, and look like little kids dressed up like characters from the Wizard of Oz (these 2 are a munchkin boy and Dorothy).



This was probably 5 or 6 years ago. I knew I wanted a larger main tree for our house, but I really loved these ornaments and I knew I didn't want them to get lost on a big tree, so I decided to keep the old tree (actually trees, since the old main one had come with a 3' table tree) and buy a bigger one also. I decided to put up all 3 trees, but put only the Wizard of Oz ornaments on the old one. Except I didn't have nearly enough Oz ornaments to fill the old tree, and they were too heavy for the 3' tree. Then I decided to buy a 4' tree for the Oz ornaments and put some teenie Beanie Babies I had been collecting from McDonald's happy meals onto the 6' tree. And the rest is history.

I now have a nice mix of the Wizard of Oz ornaments Sarah bought me, plus some Hallmark Oz ornaments, plus some other stuff we included (like the "ruby slippers" Abby wore for Halloween when she was 4). Plus a beaded rainbow the girls helped me make.



The lion, tiger, and bear are there, as well as the witch (she's below the lion's courage medal on the left side of the picture) and the witch's broom along side the tree. Just in case we need to persuade the wizard to help us get home. :-)

No comments: