This was our last pool play game, so Coach Williams rested Brady and a few other starters, so for most of the game Brady got to hang out in the dugout, out of the sun. He's still pretty congested, although his throat isn't sore anymore (thankfully).

Brady played 2 innings in the field and batted once. The sun was shining right in our faces, so the camera had a hard time getting good pictures. Bill decided to shoot some video, so KC (who was also pretty congested) decided to take some pictures for us. She got this shot of Brady tagging a runner on a pickoff move (the runner was safe, but it was a pretty good picture).
I borrowed the camera and managed to catch a shot of Brady's hit (it was a great hit - line drive right up the middle - finally he got to face a right-handed pitcher!).
KC had a good time taking pictures, and she did a good job, especially considering the sun issues (the bright light made the camera shorten the shutter speed, so the pictures were coming out really dark). What I thought was interesting was some of the shots she chose. She definitely has her own perspective on selecting and framing shots. None of these pictures is cropped or edited in any way by me except to reduce the size.
She decided to take a picture of home plate.

She chose this angle of Brigham scoring.

She also took a few pictures of the spectators in the stands. Way closer than I would have:
Looking at the pictures she took, I rather like them. I like her perspective on things. Maybe she'll decide to be a photographer some day.
After the game, we rested for a bit and then the kids opted for bowling (in the air conditioning). The kids had a great time!
Here's Brady's rather unusual bowling technique:
Here's a very determined KC (with a gallery of girls on her team).

And Abby's approach:

Bill also played and his team ended up winning a few dollars in the last game (the kids played for fun, fortunately).
Between the first game and the bowling, a rather strange thing happened. Bill was napping and I was watching Law and Order (and probably napping, too) and all of a sudden Coach Woody is walking into our bedroom. He seemed surprised to see us, and asked where Hannah was (his older daughter). We've had girls here pretty much nonstop since we arrived, but mostly the 11 and under set. Hannah is 15. He walked back into the living room and checked the girls' room again and we followed him. I told him we didn't even have Lilly (his 5-year-old) today (just KC, Abby, Victoria, Sydney and Bailey). He still seemed puzzled and said he really hadn't expected to see us here. When we assured him we hadn't seen Hannah, he headed out and looked at the door and realized (much to his embarrassment) that instead of room 3301 (Hannah's room) he was in 2301 (our room). The room layouts are identical, so he hadn't even realized he was in the wrong building! He apologized a few times and even called back later to say he'd found Hannah in her room and was really sorry and fully expected to get teased about this for the rest of the tournament. I think what surprised us the most was that he didn't seem upset that Bill and I were laying down in what he thought was Hannah's bed. Just wondered where she was.
It's not every day you look up to see a major league pitcher standing in your hotel room. And I guess he was surprised thinking his second baseman's parents were hanging out watching TV in his daughter's bed. For the rest of the afternoon, every time we heard a knock on the door, we'd shout at Brady, "If it's Coach Woody, don't let him in the bedroom." He finally shouted back, "What do you want me to do, just keep him in the living room?" Just improvise, buddy.
I think Coach Woody will check the room numbers carefully from now on. And I'm totally asking him to autograph a baseball when this is all over . . .




No comments:
Post a Comment