Wednesday, July 16, 2008

We survived the golf tournament!!

Before I start on the golf tournament, I'd just like to note that our bunny, Cookie, who thinks he is a dog is really taking it a bit far.



I don't think rabbits generally like to sit by the fireplace, do they? Our faithful guard bunny on duty . . . LOL

Anyway, the Warriors Golf Tournament is finally over (whew) and although it was scorching heat, the tournament was a success! We raised enough money to pay the entry fee and a good part of the travel expenses for the world series next week (we leave Saturday - yikes!!).

Bill was one of the coordinators of the tournament. Here he is pretending to talk on a walkie-talkie that never worked once all day:



I was a worker bee. Here's Kim, me, Caprice, and Don working on the goodie bags for the golfers. Kim's trying to ease out of the picture, which is why I was laughing:



We had chick-fil-a sandwiches for lunch (donated - yea!!) plus the golfers got a sleeve of golf balls and an AFLAC duck (which I loved and snagged a pair for the girls).

Bill, my Dad, and Bill's dad all played in the tournament and played great, but still finished out of the top 3.



My Mom worked as a volunteer and helped sell mulligans and drove a drink cart around the course with me for about 4 hours. We had free Gatorade and water donated by Mike Lewis Food Town!!

After the round, the boys came up to the course and worked at the hamburger buffet serving dinner to the golfers. Brady was in charge of lettuce, tomato, and onions.



The burgers were actually really good, and everyone enjoyed the meal. Note how well color-coordinated my dad's team is (even Mom matches!):



We had great silent auction and live auction items donated including autographed baseballs from Woody Williams (our coach and former All-Star MLB player), Nolan Ryan, Jake Peavy, Trevor Hoffman, Bob Feller, Albert Pujols, autographed jerseys from Woody, Peavy (went for $1100!), Hoffman (went for $1500!), and Roy Oswalt, and 2 autographed bats from Lance Berkman that sold for $700!


This is the guy who bought one of the Berkman bats. He's from a bar in Kemah called The Monkey Bar. I've never been, but the next time I get down there, I'm going by to say hello and thanks!

We worked hard, but overall it was worth it! We raised money and got a lot of support from our home town, which was probably the best part. Nah, the money was the best part, but the support was great, too. LOL

No comments: