Monday, April 7, 2008

My Grandfather

My grandfather was born March 22, 1908. On March 22, 2008 he celebrated his 100th birthday. I can hardly imagine all the wonders he saw over those 100 years.

He was a Master Electrician, and loved to invent things. Every time I saw him, he was talking about a patent he was trying to get on something. He and my grandmother built a motel from the ground up in Waterville, Maine, and ran it until he retired in 1979. He and my grandmother moved to Florida for a while, making a couple of trips yearly to Las Vegas (my grandmother was an amazing Bingo player) then they moved back to Maine in 1998. He’s spent the last couple of years in an assisted living facility, but other than hearing loss (which I can remember him having when I was very small) and migraines, his health has been good.

My Grandpa Jim loved knowledge more than just about anything. I can remember he made flash cards for me when I was about 8 with the states on one side and the state capitals on the other. He was thrilled for my sister and I when we graduated from college, and also wrote me a letter when I got my Masters degree. Over the years he wrote several letters to me, some of which I still have. My sister went to visit him last year, and said that he had pictures of she and I and our kids scattered around his room. My uncle joked with her that he didn’t have any one else’s picture up, just ours. I think because we lived so far away and didn't get to see him much that we were kind of special to him. I think my sister reminded him a lot of Grandma Lil, so seeing her probably brought back a lot of good memories of her.

My mom and dad have visited Grandpa Jim and my grandmother just about every year since we moved to Texas in 1977. Grandma Lil passed away in August of 2002. We were fortunate in that I finally got up there and the kids got to meet her in June of that year. She had Alzheimer's, and I'm fairly sure she didn't really know who we were, but she was sweet to the kids because she loved kids, and I'm thankful that we have a few pictures of them with her so they can remember meeting her.

My Grandpa Jim died Saturday morning, April 5, 2008. 100 years and 14 days old.

I found some of the letters he’s written me over the years, and he almost always typed them because he had trouble with his vision (hitting 90+ years will do that to you). I did find one that he hand wrote about 10 years ago. His closing was:

“We have been quite happy over the years and we would do it over again. George calls and writes. They seem happy – go dancing. So far away. I will never see you again. Life is so short. We enjoyed our visit to Texas. Hope you are happy. I close sending love to all. Grandpa Jim“

I am thankful that my dad was with him for his 100th birthday. My Grandfather led a full life, and I know he missed my Grandma Lil terribly once she was gone. If I reach the end and can say that I’ve been quite happy and I’d do it all again, then I can go peacefully in my sleep, I think that’ll be good enough for me. Rest in peace, Grandpa Jim.

1 comment:

DJ said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. But it sounds like he was a great man who lived a wonderful life. And obviously made quite a difference in yours. Take care sweetie!!